Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Brewing a Great Beer II


I have planned for tomorrow to be "brew day". There are still a few things that need to be done, however. I am using a set up, developed by Australian home brewers, that will apparently make brewing easier. The method is called brew in a bag (BIAB) and requires the grains to be steeped in a large bag, much like tea. Today's task is to rig a pulley system to handle the extrication of the hot and heavy bag full of wet grains.

Last weekend I enlisted the help of family to sew up the bag needed to hold the grains. I also rigged up a pump system to recirculate the hot wort through the grains. I will be using a three-stage mash process with a final rinse at 168 degrees Farenheit.

Steps:

Protein rest - 125 degrees (20 min)
Saccharification - 156 degrees (60 min)
Mash Out - 168 degrees (10 min)

No comments: